Explosion Proof Cameras – Onshore & Offshore
Oil and gas are still important energy sources and are hard to replace, especially for mobile applications. Since it is only in the rarest cases that the raw materials are used in the same place where they are found, they have to be transported, usually through pipeline systems. From the points of extraction to land (onshore) or water (offshore), the fuels are often transported across long distances to the buyer or processor.
The compressors or pumping stations along the transport route ensure the necessary pressure is maintained in the pipeline. The plants are usually controlled from a central control station. However, this is often a long way from where the process is taking place. Depending on their size, drilling platforms are frequently unmanned. Important process data, such as the pumping pressure, temperatures, or flow rate, are transmitted to the control station either along data lines in the pipelines, or via satellite. The equipment used is also exclusively installed in potentially explosive atmospheres, and so needs to be suitable for use in these areas.
Resilient equipment for the toughest applications
- The ExCam series, especially the stainless steel models, are the most resilient eplosion proof cameras in their class: their extremely weather resistant stainless steel casings have a rating of IP67, which means they are absolutely dust-tight and watertight during temporary submersion, making them ideally suited for all offshore uses.
- All cameras in the ExCam series can be heated: not just the lenses, but the whole body of the camera. So that nothing freezes and all systems function optimally even at -20°C (-4°F).
- Despite their light weight and small dimensions, all cameras in the ExCam series are constructed using the “pressure-proof encapsulation” type of ignition protection. This means that, unlike for rival products in “pressurised enclosures”, no additional pressure monitoring equipment needs to be installed. The installation costs of the ExCam series are thus kept to a minimum.
- The SKA01 system cable transmits all necessary signals (power supply, video and control signals) to the ExCam series in a sheath. Thanks to the special PUR jacket, it not only complies with the EX regulations of standard 60079-14, but is also flame-resistant, resilient, and suitable for use even in extreme temperatures.
- Its minimum sensitivity of 0.0004 lux makes the ExCam niteZoom so sensitive that it does not need powerful lighting technology. This means that, in combination with a 50 watt headlamp, the ExCam niteZoom can replace comparable systems with 400 watt xenon lights. For more information, watch this demo video.
Network and availability – new technologies solve old problems
In the long term, IP based communication networks will replace the analogue structures of existing CCTV networks. The advantages of the TCP/IP protocol are obvious: audio signals, process data and video signals can be so easily transmitted over long distances that installation distances lose their significance.
- Cameras, loudspeakers, and microphones in hazardous areas can be connected to the (Ex)Connection Rail series, and their signals converted into network flows. This step makes these signals readily available, whether directly on site, on the control room at the other end of the country, or even worldwide.
- However, it’s not only unmanned plants that can be viewed using SAMCON technology: thus, for example, it is possible to speak to the work team at the plant from the control room via the DECT ExNF full-duplex interface! In addition, the workers are all part of a DECT conference and can thus communicate with each other.
- Using SAMCON technology, unmanned drilling, pump, and compressor stations can be connected to the central station via fast data links, whether through a VPN tunnel over the internet, via satellite, or via bidirectional radio.
- Using the SAMCONtrol video management system, videos can be displayed where they are needed, even directly in the process control system. SAMCONtrol is currently the only purely web-based video management system in the world. By using web technology like Adobe Flash™, SAMCONtrol spares the client the need to install video software: each browser becomes a fully equipped video management system!